http://broncoii.org
October 25, 2014, 11:53:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '89 Bronco II fuel problems  (Read 1072 times)
nosfanatic2006
I live here

« on: April 03, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »

Ok, so I've been reading some of the forums and it seems that the '89 Bronco II has two fuel pumps. Correct me if I'm wrong but a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the rail? And if I'm reading correctly in 1990 they switched to just one pump. Would I be able to convert my '89 Bronco II 4x4 EFI 5 speed to just one pump? If so what would I need to do?

If I understand right the low pressure pump pulls the gas out of the tank and the high pressure pump gets it to the engine; so would I be able to just get a higher pressure pump and just replace the low pressure with it and ditch the high pressure one?

If not would it be ok to just grab some fuel pumps off another B2 and use them? I'm just needing them to work for a short period of time so I can get a job and get some money again, then I can put new ones on. Would that be ok?

Also, I've been told some other things to check such as the fuse, fuel inertia switch, or a clogged fuel filter. How much does the inertia switch cost? And is there anything else that I might want to check? We replaced the fuel pump relay first thing and put in a brand new batter. It will start and run as long as we continue to spray starter fluid into the intake. Thanks for all the help!

SOLD: '89 Bronco II 4x4, 2.9L V6, 5 speed, manual locking hubs, manual 4wd

WORK IN PROCESS: '88 Toyota 4Runner 3.Slow V6, 4x4, manual hubs/t-case, 31x10.5 tires, Borla muffler, K&N air filter

CURRENT: '89 Honda Civic LX, 1.5L, 5 speed
skfury440
I live here

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:35 AM »

You might (big maybe kinda thing) be able to get away with it, but you'd need a very very very strong pump.  Some fuel pumps are better at "pushing" fuel through the line and some are better at "pulling."  It would have to be tremendously powerful to make the fuel come out of the tank and end up at the fuel rails with the amount of pressure required for EFI if it's mounted farther back by the tank.  If you mounted it up by the engine somewhere it would burn out faster than normal because it has to pull the gas all the way through the lines, and then pressurize it.  However on our Edsel for lack of finding a good 50 year old fuel pump we mounted an electric one on the fender for about 4 months and it worked just fine.  Carburated engines don't need the amount of fuel pressure that EFI does though, and the car was probably driven about 50 miles total with that setup.  IMO it's better to just leave the system you got if you've got a fuel problem, and just replace both pumps and it should last you a long time.  Whatever you do make sure your lines are all snug and your fuel filter is tight, I had a hard time getting mine to not leak after I took the bowl out of it.

'86 BII
'64 T-Bird 462FE Stroker C-6
Flat Toy
BII Sr. Member

USAF Retired

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 06:50:36 AM »

Before you start replacing parts get a volt meter or test light if you don't already. Start by going to www.autozone.com and getting a free wiring diagram. Then start checking for power at each component. Get back with me if you need any help.

Doug

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.
95 E150 Club Wagon
98 Ranger XLT Flairside
94 Chevy C3500 Silverado
89 Probe
86 Bronco II
Paperboy
BII Jr. Member

Nampa, ID

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »

89 was the first year with a single intank pump.
Can you here it come on when you turn the key on?

88 B2 4x4 2.9 FM146 (750k+ on original 2.9)
87 Ranger LB 4x4 2.9 FM145 4" lift 34/9.50 TSL's 5.13's
88 S/C Ranger 4x4 108 WB 2.9 M5OD 1354 5" lift 35/12.50 Claws 5.13's 8.8 Aub. L/S D35 Aussi locker
skfury440
I live here

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

Yeah my entire post would be for a Gen1.  Discard all information I posted up

'86 BII
'64 T-Bird 462FE Stroker C-6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: