http://broncoii.org
November 24, 2014, 06:35:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaking transmission  (Read 1662 times)
neotes
BII Newbie

86 Bronco II 4x4

« on: June 17, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »

I've got an 86 Bronco II 4X4 with the A4LD transmission. I had massive amounts of transmission fluid leaking out this evening coming home from work. This is the second time I've had this problem. First time I put it in the shop but the guys said nothing was wrong with it. Sure enough when I picked it up it ran great and has ever since.

However, today the fluid's pouring out. I'm wondering if the heat has anything to do with this. In the morning when I drive to work I have no trouble. But by the time I get home from work the temp gauge is always hovering near the top end of the safe zone. It's been over 100 here in Texas and the last time this happened it was the same time of year and temps were high. Seems like I've heard transmission fluid can be routed through a coolant system and it looks like there is a smaller radiator that sits in front of the regular radiator but I don't know if that's true of the BII.

I'd also like to know what's the best transmission fluid to use and if a leak stop additives are worth using.

If anyone can offer some insight or suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!

Neotes
Twister
I live here

My BII

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »

I've got an 86 Bronco II 4X4 with the A4LD transmission. I had massive amounts of transmission fluid leaking out this evening coming home from work. This is the second time I've had this problem. First time I put it in the shop but the guys said nothing was wrong with it. Sure enough when I picked it up it ran great and has ever since.

However, today the fluid's pouring out. I'm wondering if the heat has anything to do with this. In the morning when I drive to work I have no trouble. But by the time I get home from work the temp gauge is always hovering near the top end of the safe zone. It's been over 100 here in Texas and the last time this happened it was the same time of year and temps were high. Seems like I've heard transmission fluid can be routed through a coolant system and it looks like there is a smaller radiator that sits in front of the regular radiator but I don't know if that's true of the BII.

I'd also like to know what's the best transmission fluid to use and if a leak stop additives are worth using.

If anyone can offer some insight or suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!

I know my Bronco II has a small transmission cooler that sits in front of my radiator. I am pretty sure from the factory it has a built in cooler that runs through your radiator. Does it leak from the front of the back? I would try to find where it is leaking from first, fix the leak, then get a bigger aftermarket transmission cooler to keep it cool.

1985 Bronco II, gathering pieces for 302 swap. 1987 B2, new heads and going strong.
neotes
BII Newbie

86 Bronco II 4x4

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:49:27 AM »

Hey, thanks for posting a reply.

So, you think the heat could be culprit? As for the leak, I guess it could be coming from somewhere on the top but from the massive amount of fluid it looks like it's coming straight out of the bottom.

Do you have any thoughts on or experience with leak stop treatments?

Thanks again for replying.

Neotes
Pat
Founding Member
Administrator
I live here

Olympia, Wa

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »

Try to find the source of the leak. Is is coming from the bottom of the bell housing, or from the top of the trans from the vent?

1985 BII Eddie Bauer 302/C5/1350M/Locked D35/Aussie Locked Explorer 8.8/4"ish of Tuff Country lift/35x12.50x15 MT/R's... Some assembly still required.
1988b2
BII Full Member

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »

So far, in my 40 years of driving, I have seriously overheated an automatic trannie twice; once with our old 94 aerostar, and once with my 88 B2. Of course, both were A4LDs, and both times I was towing a trailer. In both cases, most of my tranny fluid blew out the vent and/or dipstick tube; once cool and refilled, there was no sign of a leak. Amazingly, both trannies, after a little TLC, continured to work fine for years. New fluid & filter, a little Lucas AT treatment (or something similar), put a few miles on, drain and refill. Worked for me!

88BII Rustbucket x 2
90BII dead motor
Rusty junk shall rise again...someday.
Crue^sBIIs
BII Full Member

Heep: it's what's fer dinner.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »

Any updates on your condition? Idk about stop leak treatments... my uncle put some in my 89's tranny. I'm lucky to get it to shift from park to drive. :( But maybe that's just my luck.

Proud owner:
1989 BII XL (Gone :( ).
1990 BII XLT 4x4.
(Co)Owner:
1990 Ranger XLT.
1996 Ranger XLT.
1991 Exploder XLT.
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: